When it comes to room decor, it's easy to overlook the ceiling. After all, out of sight, out of mind. This clean surface provides plenty of space for hanging lightweight decors, such as paper lanterns and handmade paper snowflakes. Store-bought paper lanterns do not necessarily include hanging instructions, often leaving you wondering what to do. Depending on the type of ceiling and how long you want to leave items in place, several options can help you secure decor to your overhead art canvas.
1. Examine the decorations. If they are three-dimensional, find a place on top to tie or hang the pieces. If the items are flat and meant to be pressed against the ceiling, skip to Step 7.
2. Tie one end of a piece of fishing line to the hanger or hole at the top of paper decoration. If there is no such hole, such as on a strand of paper cutout hearts, add one with a hole punch along the top. If the decoration is long, as in a cutout paper strand, punch one hole at either end, tying a long piece of fishing line to each end.
3. Position the ladder under the desired location for the decoration. Climb the ladder while holding the decoration by the fishing line. Hold the line up against the ceiling to determine a suitable length, adjusting as necessary. Climb down from the ladder and cut the fishing line two inches longer than needed.
4. Climb the ladder while holding the decoration and the clear tape. Tear off a piece of tape and stick it on the fishing line within the last two inches of the line. Press the tape onto the ceiling.
5. Repeat Steps 3 and 4 for each decorative paper item.
6. Attach paper decorations to a drop ceiling by pushing the end of a ceiling panel up slightly before securing the end of the fishing line between the panel and the framework holding the panels in place. If the line slips through, create a small hook by bending a paper clip, tying the hook to the end of the fishing line and hooking it to the panel framework.
7. Press a small piece of folded clear tape against the back of each flat paper decoration. Climb the ladder and press the paper against the ceiling until it sticks.
Things You Will Need
- Fishing line
- Hole punch
- Paper clips
- Clear tape
Use tape for items hung temporarily, as it may yellow and become difficult to remove over time. A removable adhesive hook is an option for both temporary and more permanent installation.
Glue dots are another adhesive option that may be easier to remove than clear tape if used over a period of time.
For heavier paper lanterns, such as those with lighting and electrical cords inside, install a ceiling hook and secure with an anchor into the ceiling to keep the lantern from falling.
Sunbeauty's party decorations are designed with hanging or glue points for easy installation. However, everyone should pay attention to safety when hanging paper decorative items. Wish everyone a perfect party.